Now that you have a brand you are proud of, you are likely trying to understand the process of obtaining a trademark and what must be done to ensure its success. Although hiring a trademark attorney is not required by law, experienced legal assistance can increase your chance of approval, so it is in your best interest to, at the very least, schedule a consultation.
Reasons Why You Should Speak to a Trademark Attorney
Although the information you need to file a trademark application is available through the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) website, it is generally not recommended for anyone to field through this on their own. Moreover, none of this information is accompanied by the tailored legal guidance you would receive when hiring an attorney. For most, the risk is simply not worth it.
Instead of turning this important step into a do-it-yourself project, learn more about why it is essential to hire a trademark attorney:
- You might have an excellent product and a name for it, but the name might already be taken or closely resemble someone else’s. An experienced attorney will conduct a trademark search and advise you on whether or not it is wise to proceed.
- Your brand’s trademark will be what separates you from others in your industry. A trademark attorney will advise you to ensure your trademark stands the test of time. To accomplish this, he or she will analyze your company name and logo to determine its strengths and weaknesses.
- After your trademark application is successfully approved, you will need to renew its registration within 6 years of its initial registration and every decade thereafter. Your trademark attorney will ensure these details are not overlooked.
- If your USPTO application is returned with a refusal or query, you will have the chance to defend it and further explain why it deserves approval. If you did not hire an attorney yet, you will absolutely need one at this stage. Otherwise, it is unlikely your application will receive an approval.
- You do not necessarily need to protect every aspect of your brand. A trademark attorney can advise you on these matters and make sure your application is filed correctly to avoid forfeiting filing fees. Overall, hiring a trademark attorney will save you money in the long run.
Contact a Trademark Attorney for the Advice You Need
Your brand is an essential asset, so it is crucial to take the proper steps to protect it. At SimplyLegal, our team will help you file a trademark application, so you can focus on continuing to grow your business. Our trademark attorneys will confirm the availability of your trademark, complete the paperwork, and ensure everything is properly submitted to avoid refusal or unnecessary delays.
Get started on protecting your intellectual property and reach out to our law firm at (305) 676-9328 to set up a consultation with one of our trademark attorneys. We also provide services in Portuguese and Spanish.